Thursday, February 24, 2011

Everything but the...

While we're talking about kitchens, let's discuss the kitchen sink.  Of all the places in my house, the kitchen sink work station is one where being a tall man comes at an extreme disadvantage.  Kitchen counters are unfortunately set at an industry standard 36 inches high.  If you're a tall person, say 6'-0" or taller, this causes you to lean over the counter ever so slightly to get close to what you're doing.   The kitchen sink tends to be one place where you stand for a prolonged period of time, doing all those frakking dishes.  At an average of 8" deep, that puts the bottom of the sink at 28", AKA just above the knee*.  Back aches and cramps ensue. (My wife would site that if I just cooked less elaborate meals, I wouldn't be washing so many dishes.)  One can get taller cabinets made, theoretically, but that'd be mighty expensive and who knows if the next buyer of your home is also going to have an antelopish dude who likes to cook?

So in my research on kitchen sinks today, I stumbled across this beauty from Kohler**...

Now without seeing it in context, or downloading the specifications and measurements, you might not realize that this puppy sits on top of the counter.  Its still the average 8" deep, which is less than I prefer, but the top lip sits 4 inches above your countertop surface, bringing the base of the sink to 32" AKA mid-thigh*.  A tall man's dream sink.

It is listed as an apron sink, which is another thing to discuss.  I've never really understood this fascination with apron or farmhouse sinks that is going around right now.  Other than the ability to hang a dishtowel on the edge and not get the front edge of your cabinets wet, what's the appeal?  Is it really just fashion?  It seems like there are a lot disadvantages for an apron front, including how they work with standard cabinet sizes, if its just a fashion statement.  Clue me in here.

But then, it occured to me that one half of my client is a little less than tall.  The apron sink does give one benefit of dropping the sink base by an inch and a half (similar to an undermount sink)  but bringing the basin the whole way out to the edge of the counter so that she can wash the dishes without the inverse of the problem I have.

So, I found this sink for her from Sheffield.  I'm questioning whether it will be helpul or not.  Your thoughts?  What functional benefits or disadvantages do you see in a sink like this?  Leave it in the comments...

Footnotes:

*I was going to use other relative length/height descriptors but this is a family blog.

**Can we discuss why Kohler would choose to have a picture of old people bathing together on the front page of their site?  Ew.  Old people shouldn't bathe.  That way their smell becomes a primary indicator that there's one in the next room and everyone can be on their guard against impending inevitable crotchetyness.


***All this discussion of short people makes me want to link "Shorty is an Eenie Meenie Mo Lover".  Enjoy the Biebs, y'all..