Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Seamless Stainless Steel, Seamless Stainless Steel, Seamless Stainle...

Oh to be sketching again...

It feels like such a long time since I put pencil to trace paper and came up with some original ideas.  Plus, to add to my joy, I found a nice brown pencil to do my pochés. [poh-sheyz]
(Your lesson in Architecture snobbery today will be the correct usage of the word poché.  Please don your black turtleneck sweater and say "Seamless Stainless Steel" with shivers of pleasure 7 times fast before clicking through to this explanatory link.)

My friend Nate from Architecture School.
I always was mocked in school for my love of sepia toned pencil drawings.  But to me, there was nothing like a decidedly modernist plan or section drawn in brown pencil like an old-timey saloon photo at the theme park.  Sarcasm is our friend, kids.  Its keeps us from taking ourselves too seriously whilst we discuss Zaha Hadid vs. Frank Gehry:  Who's the bigger blowhard?

In summation, while these sketches aren't going to win any awards or demolish anybody's façade*, its nice to be sketching... satisfaction is its own reward.

If you look closely, you'll also notice that my new plan has a quilting room.  Don't you wish you could have a quilting room?  In the comments, feel free to mention what you would use a "quilting room" for...  and don't be dirty.

*That's just a bonus snobbery lesson for you.  Same rules apply before clicking through to Wikipedia.