Monday, February 21, 2011

You Gotta Love Philly…


So, I briefly mentioned that I’m going to be working part time in the near future in Architecture as a means to pursue other things in life with a little balance and perspective.  (More on anxiety induced panic attacks as a result of my job some other time… I’m in far too good a mood right now to write about that PLUS as previously alluded, the drugs help.)  Anyways, in doing some career counseling, one thing that I realized is how much I loved writing and spreading my vigor, vitriol, vehemence, and virility across the Vorld Vide Net.  I loved blogging not so long ago.  Why not get back into doing that?   

So I began a little online research about how to go about making money in such a venture, rather than just as a hobby.
Alas, the first thing I stumbled upon was this article and video.  A quote:

View more videos at: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com.


“Taking a step closer to an eerie Orwellian state where creativity is crushed in the name of “the greater good,” the city of Philadelphia is demanding that bloggers pay $300 for the privilege of writing on the Internet.
This $300 “business privilege license” is for all local bloggers – even the ones that make no money off their words.

The city doesn’t stop there. In addition to the $300 for the license to write on the World Wide Web, bloggers must pay city wage taxes, business privilege taxes and taxes on any net profits -- on top of state and federal taxes -- even if the blogger only made $11 over two years, reports the City Paper.”

Chortle.  Of course Philadelphia’s archaic notions about Business Privilege  Tax would be my first impediment to a new freedom and way of thinking.   Alas, fret not, readers, I won’t let it get in the way and if anybody knows how to stick it to the man*, it’d be me.

 (*Wait, am I the man?  I get so confused in Philadelphia as to whether I’m the oppressor or the oppressee.  Stupid race/economic/gender/lifestyle relations.  Blech.)