Monday, April 25, 2011

Earthtainer- What I would do if I had Sunlight

I read this article on Friday from Slate which outlined the author's experience with the Earthtainer III.

Sure, it sounds like a horrible sequel to an already middling movie combining Eco-friendly principles with high adventure and adrenaline packed action*.  But no, its just a tomato growing system that anyone can use.

But best of all, its not for sale.

Ray Newstead, the quintessential full frontal nerdity champion, who is an executive for some semiconductor company, figured out how to build the ultimate self watering tomato pot out of basic Rubbermaid storage tubs and readily available hardware.  He even spent years testing his own specially mixed growing medium for perfect tomatoes. 
Ray Newstead

And he put the instructions for how he did it online.  For free.

Here you go:

The Earthtainer III

I don't have enough sunlight anywhere in my yard to try this.  But one of you readers must.  I want to hear how it goes.

*AKA, The Day After Tommorow