Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Verge Garden- Part 4: Plant Selection

The weather has turned warm again (again) and this time I'm actually going to get my hopes up that winter is over and I can begin gardening.

I've compiled a list of species for the Verge Planting Strip Garden.  I'm focused mostly on herbs* for two reasons...

One, as they're stepped on in this highly trafficked zone, they'll release a refreshing aroma to cover the odor of pitbull excrement and weed.  (I'm kidding.  I really like the smell of weed and I don't want anything to cover it up.)

Two, at Russell Wholesale, they're extremely cheap, $1.50 for a 3" pot I believe, and they propogate rapidly, making them a cost effective filler solution.

Anyways, here's the shopping list:


Antennaria dioica `New Hybrids'
Chamaemelum nobile*

Chamaemelum nobile `Treneague'*
Corsican Mint*
Pennroyal (English)*
Mazus Reptans Alba
Sedum Spurium Red Carpet
Creeping Lemon Thyme*
Nutmeg Thyme*

Veronica Repens
*The other primary reason I highlight the Herbs is that this posting will be the first time the Mrs. sees the shopping list.  She has expressed concern over the gardening budget this year.  (Rightly so as I have no impulse control whatsoever when it comes to food, gardening, drinks, nicotine, and sarcasm.)