Thursday, March 17, 2011

DJ Self Criticism

I am currently preparing some music for a couple of party events in the near future.  In terms of being a DJ for these kind of things, my style leans toward the funk/pop/rock range, bordering on what many would consider "Wedding DJ" territory.  Of course, no Electric Slide, Funky Chicken, or Cha Cha Slide... even if those are requested by the bride herself, both DJ and the entire wedding party should be euthanized on the spot.

That said, no DJ is above their own personal biases, and those should be examined critically.  I realized as I was preparing the playlists, that many of my personal favorite dance songs include the "Party in the Background" production value.  Hoots and hollers, clapping, crowd noise, etc.  The big question is whether the "Party in the Background" is a symbol of a good dance song, a crutch that elevates a mediocre dance song, or something even more heinous, something I just like because I'm an easily manipulable extrovert and covers the fact that these songs actually suck.

Readers, I submit a few somewhat lesser known dance songs for your review.  Enlighten me to my bias or good taste as the case may be...







Also, I was recently given the DJ name, "Brother Hoops."  You can feel free to comment on that as well as I haven't decided whether to fully embrace it or not.