Friday, March 25, 2011

Infused Vodka

We've been infusing our own vodkas over the winter with much success...


So far, the delectable winners have been:

Cranberry Thyme Vodka (Batch #3 shown in pink below)
Clementine Clove Vodka
Blueberry Lemongrass Vodka

But we don't like:

Blackberry Thyme Vodka (shown in dark purple below)

I'm about to break into the Grapefruit Fennel Vodka which is the yellow tinged one that I just finished, shown here.  I'll let you know what we come up with for mixology opportunities.

And I just started a batch of Watermelon Basil Vodka.

Really the sky is the limit on these concoctions.  Just throw a handful of fruits, nuts, spices, whatever in a clean glass jar, pour a liter of vodka over top and let it sit in a dark place for a month.  Strain and serve.
One word of caution, don't try to infuse in the pretty bottles.  Getting grapefruit rinds out of a narrow necked bottle is a frikkin pain.  I had to fill the bottle with oven cleaner and let it sit for two days before I made any headway.  But fortunately I was buzzed from drinking other infused vodkas most of that time, so the wait didn't seem that long.