Thursday, March 3, 2011

It takes a 1500...

I started reading this article from Slate about the whiny fastidiousness of NPR listeners, or more accurately the whiny fastidiousness of NPR listeners who write into the station.  I followed one of the links to this 10 minute NPR interview with Ke$ha.
 The most important fact that I can convey from this morning's research is that Ke$ha got a 1500 on her SATs.

1500* 

I would incredulously act shocked that this is a hair better than my SAT scores, which I don't tout because I think it makes me smart, I'm just a ridiculously good test taker.  I actually think there are brilliant people out there who scored much much lower, but they're just not good standardized testers.  But if I was to incredulously state such a thing, it would put me in the same camp as these snooty NPR letter campaign writers, who put themselves far above the gutter workings of shiny pop culturedom.

What I find so funny about this is how easily we look at "art" and transcribe the critique of the piece onto the artist themselves.  Which is not to say that Ke$ha is or isn't an "artist", or that her "work"  is worthy of critical merit or isn't.  You can debate that fact over a Pinot Grigio and free range cheese plate at your local oenephile watering hole, but I'm not getting into that here.   Its just that people look at the pop product produced by a Jay-Z, or a Alan Ball, or a Joss Whedon, or a Lady Gaga,  and place value and worth on the person's humanity.  What makes "Dirt off your Shoulder", "True Blood", "Dollhouse", or "Born This Way" fitting indicators of these people's genius?  They're pop artifacts as well, but of a different subject.  Yet, these folks are esteemed for their creative and empire management prowess.  But create a piece that is dedicated to the art of funjoy and influencing others to surrender themselves to it, (which I believe is actually a complicated emotion/action to orchestrate), and the masses cry out "to avoid this sort of stupidity". 

"The party don't start til I walk in."  Indubitably, Ms. Sebert, Indubitably.

*That's in the 99 percentile.  She did not state what she got on the Math vs the Verbal.  My guess is that she's probably pretty equally left and right brained and scored similarly on both halves.   Of course, all of this is dating me tremendously as the SAT has been three sections and based on a 2400 max possible score since 2006.  But I guess its dating Ke$ha** as well. 


**Hmm.  Dating Ke$ha would be odd.  Fortunately, I don't have a beard.