Thursday, March 24, 2011

Verge Garden- Part 2: Planning

The Planting Strip Verge shown in the picture below is actually the length of two lots, my own and my neighbor's.

Now, the whole plan came about after I got sick of constantly mowing both ends of the strip because my neighbor (who is living in Miss Edna's house FOR FREE) can't be bothered with home maintenance.  So my original intent was to use my leftover bricks to create a walking garden that would not require mowing.  In addition, the plant material between the bricks would have to be treadable since I can't expect everyone who parks here to carefully choose their footing before stepping out of the passenger seat.

To that end, I created the following plan, to use up my 120 bricks.


Now this plan, let's call her "Scheme- A" will use all 120 bricks, but will also require 27 6" plants and 42 3" plants.  That's no frickin joke in terms of budget.

But then I thought, "I'm a little disgruntled with the neighbor who won't mow/weed/shovel/paint etc."  So, if you look carefully, you'll notice that I modified the drawing & colored all the plants on her side of the property line blue.  That's because they represent Poison Ivy which is a lovely ornamental vine with waxy leaves and a trifoliate growth habit.  Coincidentally, I'm immune to some of the adverse effects I've heard it is rumored to have.

However, I could feel God teaching me a lesson in humility and forgiveness even as I contemplated planting poison ivy on her side.  He'd might take away my immunity the moment I started planting it.  Plus, where does one buy 6" pots of Poison Ivy?  I already checked Burpees.

So I came up with the alternate less ambitious, "Scheme- B" which is shown below.  This still has 120 bricks, in wider paths, but with only 13 6" pots and 20 3" pots.  Plus, less digging.


I guess I'm still undecided.  Do you have a preference?